Discarded glass combined with the hot rays of sunlight is being blamed on a fire at Fairlands Valley Park in Stevenage...
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service received more than 50 calls from the public who were phoning to report the jetty alight on the boating lake yesterday afternoon.
We're told plumes of smoke could be seen as far away as Hitchin.
There weren't any casualties from the fire.
(BELOW: Smoke was spotted miles away [Photo courtesy Graham Southey])
Tony Robinson is in charge at Stevenage Fire Station and told JACKfm it's not just glass that's a big worry this time of year: "The other major cause of accidental fire is people discarding their cigarette ends from moving vehicles.
This time of year we see a great rise in fires adjacent to roadways and other open spaces.
We would urged people to be particularly careful when they're out enjoying the sun and take any bottles home.
Not only is it good for the environment, but you could be averting a fire later on."
(ABOVE+BELOW: Pictures courtesy Rosie Woolnough)
More from Local News